take care of your new tattoo
Follow the simple steps listed out below to ensure your new tattoo is well taken care of. If you are experiencing abnormal pain or discomfort, please contact your doctor.
1. Remove wrapper in a CLEAN place after 1-3 hours.
2. After removing the wrap, wash the tattoo immediately with water and soap. You can use any soap but best use soap with no fragrance moisture or scrubs.
PROCESS FOR WASHING A FRESH TATTOO:
Carefully remove wrapper and tape
Make a lather in your hand with soap and water
Gently clean tattoo using a circular motion, until all ointment, blood, and lymphatic fluid are removed
Rinse the tattoo and wash once again, gently, until the skin is clean
a hair dryer on the ‘cool’ setting may be used; a clean paper towel may also be used to dab the tattoo dry
3. Only use CLEAN HANDS to wash your tattoo. NO washcloths, bath towels, bath sponges or loofahs on a fresh tattoo.
4. Do not panic when you see the colors of the tattoo on the paper towel, or on your hands as you clean it. This is simply excess ink being sloughed from the surface or the skin.
5. Quick shower 2-3 times a day is enough to clean the tattoo. Make sure no long period of time under the water (no swimming, no sauna, no bathing, no soaking).
6. Wear loose, preferably cotton clothing over the fresh tattoo. You want the tattoo to be leave out to dry, so no bandage on the tattoo area unless it’s a rare occasion. Tight clothes, bra straps, tight waistband, sweaty gym clothes/shoe or itchy cotton sweater can irritate the skin and slow down healing process.
8. After a few days (day 3-4), the tattoo will dry out and begin to form flaky scabs that will fall off on their own. DO NOT PICK OR SCRATCH AT YOUR TATTOO. Start using an AFTER-CREAM to reduce itchiness and to help the peeling process. You only need a small amount of the cream, apply thin layer first then rub it in. Keep it moisturized and the scabs will heal eventually. Once again, they will be the color of the tattoo.
Depends on the size, It normally takes 1-4 weeks for a tattoo to completely heal.